Datapoa - Open Data (Porto Alegre - Brazil)
Datapoa is the open data platform of Porto Alegre where citizens can build on the available data to develop smart solutions for the city, actively participating in the urban development and improvement of their communities.
Every interested stakeholder (such as hackers, students, web developers, journalists, researchers, entrepreneurs, and so on) can access the data and use them as raw material in the creation of collaborative solutions to address urban problems, such as mobile apps or software. When residents are engaged, public management is improved, citizens come closer to their local government, and public service delivery becomes more efficient and tailored to the end-user’s needs.
The portal offers open access to 16 groups of datasets: Health, Education, Environment, Geo, Urban Cleaning, Water, Mobility, Tourism, Participatory Budgeting, Weather, Administration and Finance, Consumer Defence, Civil Defence, Accessibility, Industry and Commerce, and POADIGITAL (Porto Alegre Digital). By March 2018, 21 apps had been developed already, such as BusCode Poa (public mobility), Tá Chovendo Aí (weather information), LimPOA (waste management), and SanguePOA (blood donation).
Improved e-Governance and citizen services.
Official objectives of datapoa:
- Promote the publication of information contained in databases of public administration bodies and entities in the form of open data;
- Grant citizens open access to the data produced or accumulated by the Municipal Executive Power (if the access to that data is not restricted or prohibited);
- Promote social control and the development of new technologies for building effective public management environments and improving the offer of public services for the citizen;
- Foster empirical scientific research on public management;
- Promote technological development and innovation in the public and private sectors and stimulate new businesses;
- Promote the sharing of information technology resources, avoiding duplication of actions and the waste of resources in the dissemination of data and information;
- Promote the offer of integrated digital public services.
Prefeitura de Porto Alegre (project); Procempa (development); Ckan (API).