Smart Nation Singapore
Singapore aims to become a Smart Nation, based on digital technology that improves the quality of life of its inhabitants, addressing a wide range of societal challenges. “Smart Nation is about creating new opportunities in a digital age, and transforming the way people live, work and play, so that Singapore remains an outstanding global city.”
The Smart Nation and Digital Government Group identified 5 priority areas that have a great impact on society: transport, home and environment, business productivity, health and enabled ageing, and public-sector services. Then, they determined government enablers (with appropriate policies and legislations) to facilitate innovations by the public and the private sector:
- Facilitating smart solutions (Smart Home technologies, Committee on Autonomous Road Transport for Singapore, Centre for Healthcare Assistive and Robotics Technology);
- Nurturing a culture of experimentation and sustaining innovation (Open Data & Connectivity, Investment in Research & Development, Living laboratory, Industry and Start-up ecosystem, Cybersecurity and Data Privacy);
- Building computational capabilities (ICT capacity building through special programmes and fellowships).
Working on these enablers, they developed all Smart Nation initiatives and defined key strategic national projects to focus on (2017-2023).
Improved e-Governance and citizen services;
Improved Water management;
Improved Energy management;
Improved Urban Lighting;
Improved Intelligent Transport Systems;
Improved Health for Citizens;
Improved Education and Training;
Improved supports for business.
Description of the specific objectives of the Smart Nation and Digital Government Group:
- Apply technologies to improve citizens’ lives in several domains: mobility, living and environment, health, business, and e-governance;
- Develop digital enablers and platforms for Smart Nation to grow economic value and catalyse innovation by companies and citizens;
- Drive digital transformation for the public service to strengthen government information and communications technology infrastructure;
- Improve public service delivery and build a more efficient Government;
- Boost a more productive economy, through better business processes;
- Support better living, stronger communities, and create more opportunities and jobs for all.
Smart Nation and Digital Government Group, comprising the Smart Nation and Digital Government Office (formed under the Prime Minister’s Office – PMO, including staff from the Digital Government Directorate of the Ministry of Finance – MOF, the Government Technology Policy department in the Ministry of Communications and Information – MCI, and the Smart Nation Programme Office –SNPO), and the Government Technology Agency (GovTech).
- Cybersecurity and data protection;
- Maintaining complex IT infrastructures;
- Ensuring that all citizens are able to keep up with the technological development (particularly the elderly).
Smart Nation Singapore is developing several solutions in 4 key areas:
- Transport: contactless fare payment for public transport in Singapore; real-time demand-driven transport through apps; open data and analytics for urban transportation; Self-Driving Vehicles (SDVs) as the future of mobility in Singapore; spearheading research in standards for SDVs.
- Home and environment: leveraging technology to improve the urban environment (OneService – municipal issues app, and myENV – environmental news app); smart homes – tech-enabled solutions for homes in Singapore.
- Public sector services and business productivity: digital government – public services made more seamless with technology; regulatory sandbox for innovative fintech experimentation; towards a smart cashless society with contactless payment.
- Health and enabled ageing: assistive technology, analytics and robotics for aging and healthcare; HealthHub portal – a digital healthcare solution; National Steps Challenge – an app towards healthy and active lifestyle; TeleHealth – integrated and seamless healthcare services at home.
In 2017, the Government of Singapore defined the strategic projects to focus on the following years (2017-2023):
- National Digital Identity (NDI), to promote a more convenient and safe procedure for citizens’ and businesses’ digital transactions.
- e-Payments, to allow simple, instant, seamless, and secure payments.
- Smart Nation Sensor Platform (SNSP), to accelerate the wireless sensor network deployment, the smart connected lamp post trial and other IoT devices that will make Singapore more liveable and safe.
- Smart Urban Mobility, to improve public transportation systems and traffic management (including artificial intelligence and autonomous vehicles).
- Moments of Life (MOL), which comprises relevant government services for different life moments of the citizens, integrating services offered by various government agencies to promote a more convenient user experience.
- 80% of households are within a 10-minute walk to a train station;
- During peak hours, 75% of Singapore’s citizens use public transport;
- By 2030, the nation will complete 7000 kilometres of bicycle paths.
- 147.6% mobile population penetration rate;
- 188.7% wireless broadband population penetration rate.
- Singapore’s Housing and Development Board (HDB) built more than 1 million flats in 23 towns;
- 80% of the nation’s residents live in and own a HDB public-housing flat, experiencing a more affordable, comfortable, and efficient living.
Science and technology:
- Singapore ranked 2nd on the 2016 Scientific American Worldview Scorecard, a global ranking of innovation potential in biotechnology;
- The nation ranked 15th on the Nature Index 2015 Global, which measures international scientific publishing.