Global Conference on Smart Cities and Smart VIllages
Smart Republic 2018 - Multi Partner Platform for Collaborative Development of Smart Cities and Smart Villages.
Theme and Rationale
India is witnessing huge transformations in public service delivery through innovative use of digital technologies under Digital India Agenda. The 100 Smart cities mission along with AMRUT and HRIDAY Missions were announced by Government of India in 2015 with first list of successful cities to pursue Smart City Challenge were announced in 2016. Since then, 90 cities from across the county have been selected for getting support through center and state governments under the initiative. Additionally, the RURBAN mission was announced for development of smart village clusters.
All these missions have received unprecedented interest from multilateral agencies like the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, UN habitat besides multiple countries and industry players who want to be part o this big transformation opportunity. However, each of these players is working in isolation with their independent initiatives addressing the same problems. This is resulting in multiplicity of efforts and development of disparate systems by different cities. These systems are not interoperable and in the long run, may result in wastage of investment and resources.
Smart Republic 2018 is envisaged as a Multi Partner global forum to deliberate on the collaboration framework between government and multiple agencies like the World Bank, UN Habitat, UN Global Compact, Asian Development Bank, Industry and academia for achieving shared goal of making India a Smart Republic by 2022. Smart republic forum will focus on innovative ICT and New Media platforms and deployment of best practices to catalyse effective, coordinated and results-based implementation of 100 Smart Cities Program, AMRUT, HRIDAY and RURBAN missions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Smart Republic forum aims to contribute to achievement of following objectives:
- Strengthen and deepen the collaboration among multiple implementing agencies working in the domains of smart cities and smart villages.
- Fostering knowledge sharing among practitioners of Smart Cities and Smart villages programs to ensure adherence to global standards and good practices for accelerated achievement of Sustainable Development Goals.
- Helping government agencies leverage private sector investment, knowledge and resources through innovative public private partnership models.
- Support deliberations among multiple players to formulate structured mechanisms for improving cross-sectoral integration to accelerate deployment of sustainable smart city and smart village programs.
- Facilitate sharing of good practices among the Smart City and smart village practitioners for development and deployment of Digital Platforms for transformative interventions across multiple thematic areas..
Smart Republic initiative is aimed to create a multi-stakeholder partnership and serve as a platform for structured and continuous dialogue among governments, civil society, private sector, and others to jointly develop effective solutions for smart cities and smart villages.
Smart Republic 2018 Conference - Participant Profile
Smart Republic 2018 is an invitation only conference. Smart City CEOs and Municipal Commissioners Senior government officers from Ministry of Urban Development, mission leaders and senior practitioners from agencies like the World Bank, UN Habitat, UN Global Compact and line ministries are expected to participate in the conference. In addition, the forum will invite smart city and smart nation experts from across the globe especially from countries like US, Europe, South Korea and middle east. This will provide a unique opportunity for the delegates to deliberate on global trends and best practices in the domain of smart cities and smart villages