ICEGOV 2018, Galway Ireland (5 April 2018)
Digital Platforms for Smart Green Cities: Challenges and Collaboration Opportunities in Disruptive Technology Environment
Smart Cities missions undertaken by governments globally are witnessing huge transformations in public service delivery through innovative use of disruptive new media technologies and Digital Platforms. As the policy makers and practitioners globally embark on their journey to formulate and implement their vision of future inclusive, green and sustainable cities, there is a very strong need to develop a robust framework and ecosystem for continued sharing of learning practices, collaboration for building shared digital platforms and capacity building of practitioners and other stakeholders. The World Bank is one of the leading knowledge institutions globally and has rich experience of developing comprehensive framework for knowledge sharing, collaboration and convening multiple stakeholders to collaborate for collective benefits. One such initiative has been recently implemented by the World Bank under "India - ICT Enabled Integration for Green Growth Project" under with support from Korea Green Growth Trust Fund (KGGTF) to support 100 Smart Cities Mission of Government of India. The project has brought together multiple UN agencies, government of India institutions, experts from various countries and Smart City practitioners through a framework of knowledge management, capacity building and shared services Digital platforms. The session aims to share the experience of implementation of the project and seek inputs from participants to expand the collaboration and learning framework to regional and global level. The World Bank will bring together its experts working in multiple countries to share their learning practices with the participants and seek their inputs to create a comprehensive, borderless and context-based knowledge management and capacity building framework. The session will focus on:
- Sharing the learnings from implementation of South - South and South - North Knowledge Exchange activities undertaken
- Digital Platform for Knowledge Management for Smart Cities
- Use of disruptive technologies for developing an Integrated Shared Services Platform for Green Growth Oriented Smart Cities
- Capacity Building and Training Framework for Smart Cities
- Expansion of the model developed and tested in India to regional and global level.
The session will allow project stakeholders to present outcomes and learnings from implementation of "India - ICT Enabled Integration for Green Growth Project” and the framework for making dividends available to countries across Indo Pacific region and globally. The panel and its panellists will seek inputs from participants to enhance the project outcomes through collaborative approaches and request interest from other countries who might want to join the initiative. The capacity building framework developed by the project partners will be shared and inputs received for fine tuning the same to the contextual needs of various countries. The key objective of the session will be to engage the participants to:
- Strengthen and deepen the collaboration among multiple implementing agencies from the participating countries working in the domains of Smart Cities and Smart Villages, even smart regions.
- Enhancing the knowledge sharing platform features to enable knowledge sharing among practitioners of Smart Cities and Smart Villages programs to ensure adherence to global standards and good practices for accelerated achievement of Sustainable Development Goals.
- Formulating a collaboration framework to help government agencies leverage private sector investment, knowledge and resources through innovative public private partnership models.
- Support deliberations among multiple players to formulate structured mechanisms for improving cross-sectoral integration to accelerate deployment of sustainable Smart City and Smart Village programs.
- Facilitate sharing of good practices among the Smart City and smart village practitioners for development and deployment of Digital Platforms for transformative interventions across multiple thematic areas.
- 0:00 - Opening comments by session chair
- 0:05 - Presentation to WB Korea Green Growth Partnership (KGGTF representative from Korea)
- 0:15 - Presentation on outputs and lessons from India – ICT Enabled Green Growth Project (Shashank Ojha and Vikas Kanungo)
- 0:30 - Digital Platform on knowledge management for Smart Cities (Louise Thomasen and Jeremy Millard)
- 0:45 - e-Book on Indian smart cities and disruptive technologies ( Nagaraja Rao Harshdeep)
- 0:55 - Capacity building framework for smart cities (Nuno Vasco Lopes and Morten Meyerhoff Nielsen)
- 1:05 - Q&A session between panellists and audience
- 1:55 - Closing comments (Neeraj Mittal)
- 2:00 - End of Session
The session will involve presentation on the project experiences and learnings followed by comments / suggestions / inputs from audiences to fine tune and enhance the knowledge collaboration for sharing project dividends.